Jerome "Jerry? Atkinson was born on September 7, 1927 in Freeport, MN to Frederick and Elizabeth (Stueve) Atkinson. Jerry grew up on a farm in rural Upsala, MN where he attended school. He served in the US Navy for two years and attained the rank of EM 3rd Class, Electricians Mate. He graduated in 1950 from Dunwoody Institute and became a Master Electrician. On August 21, 1950, Jerry was united in marriage to Marina Schmiesing in Meire Grove, MN. They moved to Truman, MN shortly after their marriage, where Jerry worked for Peterson Electric. In 1956 he bought the business and later renamed it Jerry's Electric. Jerry was a charter member of St. Katherine's Parish and helped build and maintain the present church. He was a Webelos Scout Leader, served on the Water and Light Commission for many years and was the President of the Commercial Club. Jerry received a 50 year pin as a member of the Knights of Columbus and a 50 year pin from the American Legion Post #115. Jerry loved his family. He always looked forward to family reunions and the holidays with his ten tremendous children. He enjoyed work, fishing, playing cards, and shaking dice with his buddies. Jerry died on Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at the Fairmont Medical Center.
Jerry is survived by seven sons and daughters-in-law, Mark (Jeannie), Fairmont, Jerome Jr. "Chip? (Julie), Wichita, KS, Bill (Eilene) Silverthorne, CO, Bob (Janet), Lake Crystal, MN, Jon (Kerri), Winslow, AZ, Joe (Karen), Chaska, MN, Pat (Priscilla) San Antonio, TX; three daughters and sons-in-law, Marilyn Kneeland (Dan), New Prague, MN, Jane Kuhlman (Don), St. James, MN, Beth Kloeckner (David), Fairmont, MN; thirty-two grandchildren; two great grandchildren; seven brothers, James (Marie), Richard (Rita), Fred (Evie), Donald (Kathy), Ervin (Marilyn), John (Marlys), David (Gay); three sisters, Alice Koshenina (Tony), Irene Lashinski (Gene), Helen Heisick (Ken); and many nieces and nephews. Jerry was preceded in death by his parents and his wife of 53 years, Marina.
Memorial contributions may be given to St. Katherine's Catholic Church and to Hospice of Martin County.